This is AMAZING!!!
I love lemon cake.
But I hate making it.
I don’t hate the baking process. I actually enjoy baking. I hate grating the lemon peel to get the rind.
Even worse: cleaning the rind out of the grater when your done!
First of all, it takes way too long time to get the rind off of the lemon. Then lemon slips out of your hand several times in the process. After all that ridiculousness, you then get the pleasure of cleaning the grater. After wasting several gallons of water trying to rinse the horrible stuff off, out come the tooth picks. Picking old lemon rind out of the grater is the bane of my existence.
I was so excited when I discovered that I could cook with Essential Oils! The essential oil of a lemon is pressed out of the rind. Win! Any recipe that calls for rind, you can save yourself a lot of time and just use the essential oil. This is true about Lime too. But enough about all of that… let’s move on to the reason why you’re here: the recipe!
Lemon Essential Oil Cake
- yellow or butter cake mix (I use Gluten free, but you can use any kind you want)
- the amount of eggs required according to the cake mix directions
- the amount of butter or oil according to the cake mix directions (I use coconut oil in place of vegetable oil. 1:1 ratio)
- a lemon
- 8 drops of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- Prep the oven and cake pan according to cake mix directions.
- Juice the lemon. Add enough water to add up to the total amount of water in the cake mix directions (For example: If it calls for 2/3 cup of water. Juice the lemon. Put the lemon juice in the measuring cup. Add more water until it totals 2/3 cup. It will vary depending on how much juice the lemon produces).
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix the cake according to cake mix directions.
- Add 8 drops of Lemon Essential Oil.
- Bake cake according to package directions.
- Cool completely.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (or one stick) of butter, softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 6 drops of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (or to taste)
- Blend cream cheese and butter until well mixed and no lumps.
- Add sugar gradually and mix until well blended.
- Add Lemon Essential Oil. Mix well.
- Put on cooled Lemon Cake.
- If you prefer the icing to be sweeter, add more sugar. If the icing becomes to stiff, add water until you reach desired consistantly. I would add it slowly, only a tablespoon at a time, so that you make sure you don’t add too much water and make it too watery.
- If you prefer the icing to be more stiff for decorating purposes, add more powdered sugar. To keep it from becoming too sweet, add a little salt to neutralize some of the sugary taste. You can also add meringue powder.
- If you prefer the icing to be less sweet, add a little bit of salt (just a pinch at a time) to neutralize the sugary taste.
- If you want to serve the cake warm, immediately put the cake into the freezer as soon as you take it out of the oven. Leave it for 10 minutes. This will cool the top of the cake. You will be able to add your icing to it without it melting it, but the inside will still be very warm. You may want to set a timer so you don’t forget and freeze the cake. That wouldn’t be good.
- Use caution in what essential oil you choose. I’m not just saying this to try to sell you my oils. Geez! I’m telling you think becasue Oil quality is very important, especially if you are using them in a recipe. Make sure the label says that it is safe for ingestion. Many essential oils are only perfume grade and are not a high enough quality to ingest safely. I don’t want any of you wonderful people putting bad stuff you in your bodies.
Give Away! A 15 ml bottle of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
I will draw a name on Monday, November 26, 2012. In order for your name to be entered in the drawing, follow these steps. The names will be put into a hat and one name will be drawn at random. You must be located in the United States in order to qualify. Step 1: Like our FaceBook Page. Step 2: Share this post on your wall. Step 3: Send me an email with your name, Facebook page URL, and mailing address. (I need your mailing address in case your name is drawn!) My email is Samantha@thefruitfultree.net I will announce the winner on Tuesday, November 27. If you do not want your name shared in the announcement, please request this in your email. Thanks!
How to Get Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
A 15 ml bottle contains approximately 250 drops of essential oil. That means you could make this recipe at least 17 times with just one bottle! Lemon Essential Oil also has MANY uses and benefits!
Because lemon oil is pressed from the rind, it is much more economical. A 15 ml bottle of Lemon essential oil is only $13.82 at retail price. That means you are only spending $0.82 in essential oil for each cake you make. Can you even by an organic lemon for that? Not to mention all the time you save not grating that stupid rind! To buy, go to my website, search for lemon essential oil. You will need to create an account. Change the account type from Distributor to Customer.
If you have any questions or are interested in wholesale pricing, contact me.